CALL FOR SHORT OPERA SUBMISSIONS!
Composers: We’d like to formally invite you to submit short operas to our 2017 Fresh Squeezed Ounce of Opera Competition. Winning pieces will be produced and performed on April 7, 8 & 9 in Austin, Texas.
This will be the 2nd annual FSOO, and the 3rd event as part of One Ounce Opera’s “Fresh Squeezed Ounce” series, celebrating new works and contemporary voices. In addition to having their works produced, winning composers receive a small honorarium and a live recording of one of the performances.
To apply, send a score and supplementary materials as needed* of any dramatic work(s) you would like OOO to consider, that would qualify as “opera.”
1) These works should be meant for the stage, not the concert hall.
2) These works should be between 10-20 minutes in length and include minimal spoken dialogue.
3) Free-range re: topics. Preference will be given to more current issues or stories, but classic re-tellings are also super cool. Funny, quirky, serious, poignant, low-brow, high-brow — it’s all good.
4) English is preferred.
5) Piano accompaniment or piano reduction is required. For performance, other instrumentations or orchestrations will be considered – we’ll do our best.
6) The piece should be able to function as a standalone work and have no more than six main characters. If you have included a chorus, that is acceptable. Soliloquies are fine.
7) Works that are looking for a premiere and newer works (written within the past 5 years) are given preference.
*8) Midi files or MP3s of the work are required, as well. These are used primarily during the selection process.
Submission deadline is 11:59PM, December 31, 2016. Composers will be notified shortly thereafter. Copies of all parts and any revisions will be due at that time. Please contact Julie Fiore, Executive Director of OOO if you have any questions.
For the latest details, we strongly suggest following One Ounce Opera on Facebook, and adding yourself to the Facebook event page. Like and share!